Saturday, January 9, 2010

Foolish Actions

The issue on the use of the word "Allah" has been in the news over the past week or so.  I never bothered getting more details as I thought it would be over in the blink of an eye.  Not until today.  I was having lunch with my friends in Bangsar when I heard that 1 church was burnt, a few others attacked, and a car windscreen smashed.  I was horrified!  My Malay good friend explained the whole hoo-hah to me.

I am not a Christian, in fact, I consider myself a so called free-thinker, and I respect all religions.  Hence in this issue, I'm not favouring any side.  I'm not in the position to give any views regarding the usage of the word "Allah", what I'm more concerned are the foolish actions of some people.  Are these not the actions of uncivilized people?!  What happened to 1Malaysia?!  What happened to racial unity, which we as Malaysians, are so proud of?!  Aren't religious teachings about peacefulness & goodness as a person?!  Am I so innocent to think that no Malaysians will act like hooligans when it comes to racial disagreements, which is a thing of the past?!  I guess I was wrong.  Don't they know, which any civilized & level-headed person can tell you, that violence is only making it worse?  Don't they believe in peaceful resolution?  I do hope that all other Malaysians understand that these are acts of only a few foolish people, and they do NOT represent the entire community.

Today, I understood the meaning of "Assalamualaikum" from an article I read.  It means 'peace be upon you'.  It is really meaningful.  I hope the next time these people utter this word, they really mean it & walk-the-talk.

Whatever faith you believe in, let's pray that this will be ending peacefully soon.

Related articles:
What Are You Fighting For?
Have Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment